Search Facility

Support forum for the MovieLibrary program.

Search Facility

Postby DickyP » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 am

Although the search facility is relatively simple it works pretty well for Movies: typically the most used items for me are the title of flag status. However, the same can't be said for TV Shows where the title field doesn't really help as it uses the episode title and more often than not this is merely 'Episode n'.

It would be far more useful to search on the name displayed in the listing box 'ShowName Season n Episode n'
DickyP

Re: Search Facility

Postby danhi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 am

It should be using the title from the title box, not the episode title. Are you sure it's returning based on episode title?

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Postby DickyP » Tue May 07, 2013 11:56 pm

It is the fact that it's using Title that is the problem - not all TV Show episodes have a title (especially non-US ones) and often they are just named as 'Part 1', 'Episode 1' etc.

That's why I'd like to search on the Format used in the 'Movie' Listing box. The problem with the logic of searches for TV Shows is that it is unlikely you'll remember an episode's title - eg, how would I guess that 'The Fifth Page' is the title of 'The 4400 Season 2 Episode 12', whereas I'd probably be wanting to go and search for 'The 4400 Season 2'.
DickyP

Postby danhi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 pm

OK, I finally got around to thinking about how to do this. Download http://www.danhinsley.com/downloads/MovieLibrary.exe into your MovieLibrary directory (save the old one so you can restore it if I ever put out a real update). When you go to search, set the kind to TV Show and you'll get fields for showname, season and episode that you can use to search.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Postby DickyP » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:26 am

New functions seem to work well - only problems encountered seem to relate to the display problems on other open thread - I'll be putting some update info there separately.

Please confirm that I am correct to assume that:

1. The 'Show' search field needs the exact title of the Show and there are no partial title or wild card matches intended to be available?
  2. Users are supposed to be allowed to search on just Show, Season Number or Episode number as well as combinations of any two of them? This is how it does work: just wanted confirmation that it's how it's supposed to be. (I like it this way)

Cheers,

Dick
DickyP

Postby danhi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:44 am

Yes to both questions.
danhi
Site Admin

Return to MovieLibrary