Suggestions for tweaks / Rationalizations

Support forum for the MovieLibrary program.

Suggestions for tweaks / Rationalizations

Postby DickyP » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:35 am

Just having done some MovieLibrary database rationalization/re-building I encountered the following minor anomalies and inconsistencies that you might want to change in the future.

1. If you change the Type of a Video file (Music Video, Movie, TV Show) this doesn't change in MovieLibrary on a simple refresh like other items but requires a Refresh from File. (Don't know enough about how this is stored to know if it's actually possible to change).
  2. If you change the status flag on TV Shows you have to do it both at Episode level and at Season Level - this seems illogical and normally unnecessary to me. I would expect that if I changed at Season Level this would cascade to episodes and if I changed all the episodes this would update the parent Season.
  3. When you're doing an 'Add Folder to Library' and you're actually importing hundreds of files it'd be nice to not have to do two key presses to continue every time there is an invalid field, which prevents it running unattended. Either a choice to pipe such errors to a log instead, or to give an option to 'Suppress further messages' during an import would be appreciated.
  4. As a Nice to Have I'd like to be able to set a default Type filter at start-up.
Cheers,

Dick
DickyP

Re: Suggestions for tweaks / Rationalizations

Postby danhi » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:39 pm

There's a zip file MovieLibrary.zip at http://www.danhinsley.com/downloads. There are 3 files in there you'll need to put in your MovieLibrary directory (after saving the current ones)

If you change the Type of a Video file (Music Video, Movie, TV Show) this doesn't change in MovieLibrary on a simple refresh like other items but requires a Refresh from File. (Don't know enough about how this is stored to know if it's actually possible to change).

>> This is fixed.
If you change the status flag on TV Shows you have to do it both at Episode level and at Season Level - this seems illogical and normally unnecessary to me. I would expect that if I changed at Season Level this would cascade to episodes and if I changed all the episodes this would update the parent Season.

>> That's the way it works for me. I assume you don't have display all episodes checked. When I set the Green series entry to watched, then double click to see all the individual episodes, they all show as watched. When you set all the episodes to some state and then go back, the series shows that state. Let me know what you're seeing.

When you're doing an 'Add Folder to Library' and you're actually importing hundreds of files it'd be nice to not have to do two key presses to continue every time there is an invalid field, which prevents it running unattended. Either a choice to pipe such errors to a log instead, or to give an option to 'Suppress further messages' during an import would be appreciated.

>> I've fixed the run unattended to work correctly so you don't get the popups. I'm thinking about forcing run unattended when you do an add folder, since otherwise it's hard to get control to cancel out. what' your opinion?

As a Nice to Have I'd like to be able to set a default Type filter at start-up.

>> I'll take a look at doing this, shouldn't be too hard. I'll post back when I see.

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Postby danhi » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:59 pm

OK, I added a /K switch to specify kind, so /K "Movie" will only show movies /K "TV Show" will only show tv shows. I think they need to match exactly (case sensitive).

Let me know as I haven't exhaustive tested this.

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Postby DickyP » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks for quick response!

Test results so far:
  1. Refresh for Type - works properly. :D

2. Changing status at Episode and Season level: Not clear if you had changed anything on this from your reply, but the implication is that you hadn't. However, it now works now as described on new version. To prove to myself I wasn't going nuts I temporarily put the old, saved, version I was running back and my original behaviour happened again. :?: Anyway now works OK.

3. Unattended running. - works well. :D Agree that this should be default behaviour for Folders.

4. K Switch - works at start up as intended although start up is noticeably slower: not really a problem as it is still quicker than starting then applying the filter manually. Subsequently, however, behaviour is not exactly as I'd expected, as there is no way to clear the Kind Filter - you can merely change the start-up default Kind to another Kind (you can no longer display all kinds at once). Whilst this maps my personal typical usage I'm not sure that it'd suit many/most users. :?:

Cheers,

Dick
DickyP

Postby danhi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 am

The reason that startup is slower with K is that when I created the index to make startup faster, I didn't include the Kind (as it wasn't necessary for populating the listbox), so to be able to filter on kind it has to read the much larger data file.

As far as not being able to reset the filter, I think I'm OK with that. I'm assuming that people that will use this will have multiple shortcuts that will filter differently and will use them accordingly.

Not sure how the Series stuff was changed, but since I haven't released a new version in a while, I'm not surprised. I'll try to get a real version out this week.

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Postby DickyP » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 am

Thanks for these tweaks. However, as I said the default Kind filter was a 'nice to have' and if you feel the delay at start up is too great to incorporate into the product I'd understand.
DickyP

Postby DickyP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:44 am

Found a subtle nuance to the problem of changing flags at Episode and Season levels. It all appears to depend on circumstance.

The behaviour is as you say it should be, and as I requested, if you do the changes to shows/episodes that are in the database and been previously referenced.

However, if as I do you, import a season's episodes with a default flag of 'Imported' (a user defined one). After the first 'Add File to Library' I filter on that flag and display the file or files I've just tagged. After each subsequent 'Add File to Library ...' I apply the filter again to make the newly added episode(s) visible. If I when finished adding all the files I then change the flags (remove 'Imported' and apply 'Watched') then the changes have to be done at both levels.
DickyP

Return to MovieLibrary