Logfile Error Message

Support forum for the MovieLibrary program.

Logfile Error Message

Postby DickyP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:28 am

You recently implemented the "Changing the location of the log file? " request initiated by Xandros on MetaX, which I though was a good idea and happily took into use (putting my Log File into 'C:\Program Files\MetaX\'.

However, following that I am continually getting the message 'Could not create Log File, is another copy of MovieLibrary running?' when I start-up MovieLibrary. MovieLibrary subsequently starts and runs without problem.

Is there a connection/link between the 2 products which would cause this is, or is this just coincidence. :?:

By the way I've checked and another copy of ML is not running.
DickyP

Re: Logfile Error Message

Postby danhi » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:02 am

There shouldn't be any connection. Can you go into regedit and look at the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/No Bull Software/Movie Library/Preferences/DBPath and see what's there. I create MovieLibrary.log in that directory. The error is saying that I can't create the file. So either there's a file there that is open (so I can't create one with the same name) or there's something wrong with the path, or you don't have permission to create a file there. Has anything else changed since ML used to work?
danhi
Site Admin

Postby DickyP » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:28 am

The value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/No Bull Software/Movie Library/Preferences/DBPath is "\\MYBOOKWORLD\Public\Shared Videos\" - this is unchanged since whenever. The DBName value in the Registry is currently "\\MYBOOKWORLD\Public\Shared Videos\MusicVideos.mxa" since this was the last one opened.

I use separate databases for my Movies, TV Show Episodes and Music Videos: these are collocated on a network drive at:

"\\MYBOOKWORLD\Public\Shared Videos\Films.mxa"
"\\MYBOOKWORLD\Public\Shared Videos\TVShows.mxa"
"\\MYBOOKWORLD\Public\Shared Videos\MusicVideos.mxa"

and I normally open them using the /D command line option from desktop short-cuts: Eg, "C:\Program Files\No Bull Software\MovieLibrary\MovieLibrary.exe" /D "\\MYBOOKWORLD\Public\Shared Videos\TVShows.mxa".

I must emphasize that ML works OK - it just throws up the message when opening (and doesn't create a Log File).
DickyP

Postby danhi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Sorry for the delay, I switched to a moderated forum to get rid of the spam, and haven't gotten into the habit of checking daily.

I'm kind of confused by the problem. You do have write access to that directory, correct? I'm heading out of town tomorrow, but when I get back at the end of next week I'll take another look at this and figure out what is going on.

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Postby DickyP » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:04 am

Every sympathy with the Spam problem - I've been away anyway in Germany since last Friday so I couldn't have done anything.

Yes I do have all the necessary write permissions.

Just to make things 'curiouser and curiouser' (to quote Alice in Wonderland), if I change MetaX's log file location back to the default location (..\Documents\MetaX) the problem on opening MovieLibrary goes away?!
DickyP

Postby danhi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:41 am

Download http://www.danhinsley.com/downloads/Dicky.exe into your MovieLibrary directory and run it. It should put up two message boxes that should provide some more info.

I'm heading out in an hour, but I'll look at this when I get back.

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Postby DickyP » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:02 am

Hi Dan,

Having updated MetaX to Version 2.12 in between my last post and your last one the problem has gone way!

I can no longer replicate it.

Dick
DickyP

Postby danhi » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:19 am

Great! Because it really had me confused.

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Return to MovieLibrary