Bug? If "Enable Network Streaming" is NOT selected...

MetaX is a movie tagging program that will search the internet for information and write out tags into an mp4 or m4v file. It interfaces with Amazon, tagChimp, B&N and IMDB.

Bug? If "Enable Network Streaming" is NOT selected...

Postby gtholder » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:07 am

Hi Dan, I don't know enough about the moov atom and how it is manipulated along with meta data to know if the following should be considered normal behavior or a bug.

I re-mux my .mkv's into .mp4 containers with a script that in addition to re-muxing already grabs and embeds meta data, and relocates the moov atom to optimize for streaming, however I prefer the hands on approach to the metadata so that I have better control over cover art, and many times the data the script retrieves has incomplete info. So I run the .mp4 thru metaX, but i just noticed recently that If I don't have metaX "enable network streaming" when it writes the meta data, the file is no longer optimized. Is there a way to update the meta data and maintain existing streaming optimization without requiring metax to re optimize again?

Thanks for looking into this.
gtholder

Re: Bug? If "Enable Network Streaming" is NOT selected...

Postby danhi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:00 am

Not really. The default is to just write the metadata at the end of the file so that a rewrite isn't required. The only way to reorganize the file is to use the optimize. Out of curiosity, why do you need the file optimized?
danhi
Site Admin

Postby gtholder » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:01 pm

I don't "need" it per se. I am using Plex to stream to 4-5 clients of varying capabilities simultaneously and streaming optimization is just part of some library overhauls I am doing to try and decrease buffering on the client side. The Plex forums mention that in addition to other factors (using .mp4's, limit x.264 parameters to high 4.0, including a 2 channel AAC soundtrack as the first sound track in the container, etc.) there would be better compatibility with more devices reducing the need for transcoding, which in turn reduces server load hopefully reducing instances of buffering when Lots of streams are in-progress. Since I am already re-muxing my existing library into a uniform format I am doing streaming optimization as part of the process. Unfortunately I am finding that the script I am using, while doing a great job overall, has some issues pulling meta-data which results in about 25% of my movies needing to be ran thru meta-x after they've been re-muxed. Consequently I now need to wait on Meta-x to re-optimize the file instead of just being able to write the meta-data.

It's not really a big deal in 1's and 2's, but batching thru my 2500 movies while redoing my library the 2-3 minutes each tend to add up.
gtholder

Postby danhi » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:06 am

I wish I could help, but I use a library to read/write the tags and I don't get control over where it puts them. So using the Enable Network Streaming is the only way.

Dan
danhi
Site Admin

Return to MetaX